The big news this week is the nearly ready to ratify Paris Climate Accord and the Liberal announcement that we will have a national price on carbon one way or the other by 2018. Lot's to say here but we say it on the show so please just check out these links for the background reading.
- Canada officially ratifies historic Paris climate agreement
- 5 things to know about Canada’s carbon pricing plans
- Climate change debate turns to how it will affect Justin Trudeau and Lisa Raitt's loved ones
- Federal carbon plan will struggle without support from provinces: Notley
- UN aviation agency brokers first-ever global climate deal
- Where is Canada's Green Finance Roadmap?
In the middle section, we interview Ian Toews - Director of the new CBC Doc Channel documentary: Bugs On The Menu. The film explores the increasing interest in edible insects, both as a culinary adventure and a highly convincing argument from an environmental perspective with regards to the nutritional value VS the resources required to produce when compared to other animal sources of proteins like beef and chicken.
Also, here's the top 10 reason to try eating bugs! (borrowed from the Bugs on the Menu website).
- 20x more B12 than beef
- More calcium than milk
- More iron than spinach
- 5x more magnesium than beef
- High in prebiotic fibre which is good for your guts
- 40% protein by weight and low in saturated fat
- High in Chitin which fights against nasty stuff like viruses, tumours, and allergies
- Contain all 9 Essential Amino Acids for building and repairing muscles
- Free of stuff you don’t need like sugar, pesticides, and GMO
- Won’t make us sick (no zootomic diseases)
In the final section Daryn does a segment on why as happy as he is to see climate progress coming from these recent announcements, he is still skeptical that the strategy being employed by the Trudeau government is a good idea (both in reality and in politics).
Also mentioned on the show!
Daryn reads and team discusses a listener email question regarding what about the 10's of thousands of Canadians who will be put out of work if we shut down oil production in Canada? Stefan and Alex also bring up more dangerous lunacy from an American right wing hack 'journalist' regarding a supposed 'hoax' regarding the devastating hurricane in the US right now and the ongoing racism towards First Nations people while they are busy doing all the heavy lifting in our fight against climate catastrophe. Finally 'Telus' is a huge coward :) sorry but it's true.
- Hurricane Matthew: Matt Drudge conspiracy comments kick up storm
- Telus Is Sorry For That Supportive Tweet About Trudeau's Carbon Price
- Natural gas rep's inappropriate comment about First Nations prompts apology and dialogue
This Weeks Music:
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media, leave us a phone message to play on air or send us an email!