Oil and Water (504)
April 29, 2016 download episode here
As we approach the half year anniversary of the COP 21 agreement in Paris, it's time to take a look back to assess where we've come and where we need to go. This week the team interviews Keven Roy a University of Toronto PHD Candidate and delegate to COP 21 on his experiences at COP 21 and his research in sea level rise.
- April breaks global temperature record, marking seven months of new highs
- Only Five Years until we pass 1.5 degree carbon budget
- Saskatchewan straight up denies climate change in it’s thrown speech
For the middle third we're joined by Atiya Jaffar of 350.org who gives us a rundown of the global Break Free actions and the protests of Kinder Morgan off the coast of Vancouver. We also discuss the National Energy Board's decision to approve the twinning of the Kinder Morgan pipeline.
- Regulator approves twinning of Kinder Morgan pipeline into B.C.
- Ontario to spend $7-billion on sweeping climate change plan
- Attawapiskat And Fort McMurray Prove Not All Crises Are Seen As Equal
In our final section Emmay questions the difference in responses to Attawaspikat and Fort McMurray and Daryn begins his pitch for a whole new kind of society.
This week also features the return of our bonus show! On which Deirdre and Sabina join us to discuss the future of activism and what works to push issues forward.
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media, leave us a phone message to play on air or send us an email!