The program begins with an update on the Dakota Access Pipeline, namely that local public and private security agents have continued to violently crack down on protestors but meanwhile US President Barack Obama blocks progress on the pipeline pending review of undetermined scope and intent.
- The Obama Administration Temporarily Blocks the Dakota Access Pipeline
- Peaceful Dakota Access Protesters Face Felony Charges, Escalating Police Action
- Drop the Charges Against Amy Goodman and Other Journalists Covering #NoDAPL
In the middle section Barbora Grochalova who is an Environmental Lawyer in Ontario joins us to talk about the joining of Ontario to the Western Climate Initiative that already includes California and Quebec. This climate credit trading will use a market approach to hopefully limit emissions and work towards climate neutrality. Despite this optimistic sounding step, nothing is ever that simple. Barbora walks us through the highs and lows of the WCI's effectiveness so far, and what Ontario's participation will mean.
- 'Unpacking' the Western Climate Initiative
- We’ll always have Paris? (More from Barbora herself about COP/TPP conflict)
In the final main-show section Daryn leads coverage of the pending mega-merger between two already massive multinational corporations which will likely see Monsanto and Bayer Pharmaceuticals merge into a monolithic entity MoBay. These two corporations already have a very very spotty history (including selling weapons and military supplies to both Axis and Ally forces during WW 1+2) and this deal will mark the largest cash-deal merger in history with an absolute stranglehold on the worlds food supply. How do you feel about having no choice but to buy food from the companies that made millions making American chemical warfare weapon 'Agent Orange' from which North Vietnamese are still being born with birth defects today?
- 'Five-Alarm Threat to Our Food Supply': Monsanto-Bayer Merger Advances
- Farmers Union Condemns Bayer/Monsanto Deal
- 50 Years Ago, Sugar Industry Quietly Paid Scientists To Point Blame At Fat
The hosts discuss the threat of a Trump presidency and the concept of strengthening international powers (like the UN) to provide increased clarity and unity around world-wide issues (like climate change).
This Weeks Music:
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media, leave us a phone message to play on air or send us an email!