Stefan is away this week so instead it is our pleasure to have the co-host chair filled by the one and only Rob Shirkey, The Executive Director from Our Horizon. Rob and Daryn spend the first part of the program talking about the breaking news this week that Trudeau has flashed the green light for a massive liquid natural gas pipeline through British Columbia that the local liberal government has been fighting for as an election promise. The real question is, how do we square this approval with the election promises of Trudeau himself with regards to climate and First Nations sovereignty which are at best in conflict and at worst reveal dishonesty with this project from the outset.
- Trudeau government on defensive after approving "carbon bomb"
- Trudeau Liberals Approve Petronas LNG Project on BC’s Coast
- OPEC agrees to limit oil output at 32.5 million barrels per day
- Oil falls on firmer dollar and profit-taking after OPEC rally
- Petronas weighs sale to exit $27 billion Canada LNG project: sources
- In September, Did the Liberals Out-Harper the Conservatives?
In the middle section Rob treats us to an update on the work of Our Horizon itself, with recent victories and setbacks on the road to adopting cigarette pack type warning labels about the climate consequences of the use of fossil fuels.
- Check out Our Horizon Here
n the final section Rob and Daryn discuss India's ratification of the Paris Climate Accord, and the legacy of current US president Barack Obama as he follows the US norm of presidents on the way out of their terms suddenly worrying about their legacy by lurching to the left in their final days (even George Bush did it!).
- India Announces It Will Ratify The Paris Climate Agreement
- Obama In Honolulu: ‘No Nation Is Immune To A Changing Climate’
- The world passes 400ppm carbon dioxide threshold. Permanently
- Obama's climate change legacy at stake as Clean Power Plan has its day in court
Rob and Daryn discuss toxicity in consumer products and the relation to the responsibility for the safety of consumer products, as well as some personal stories about where our passion for these topics stem. PS. we mention John Oliver's 'Last Week Tonight' show a couple times this week, and also borrowed his image for the post :) It's a fantastic show and you should watch it.
This Weeks Music:
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media, leave us a phone message to play on air or send us an email!