After weeks of covering award winning journalist Mike De Souza's incredible work on climate and pipeline issues in Canada, we finally got another opportunity to talk to the man himself. Mr. De Souza is the Managing Editor of the National Observer, and one of the most prolific authors of impactful reporting on Canada's pipeline stories in the country joins us for the full hour this week.
We take the opportunity to take a break from commentary to hear from him the hard facts around the last two years of news surrounding Canada's biggest climate story: Pipelines.
Segment 1: NEB & Charest Affair
We ask Mike to go over the recent history of pipeline battles in Canada, including what the National Energy Board (NEB) is, why it matters, the story of Energy East/Keystone XL and how they relate to Kinder Morgan, and the relevance of the "Charest Affair".
- NEB panel members step down after flurry of criticism
- What is the Charest affair and why should I care?
- Alberta asked U.S. PR firm to help ‘blunt’ criticism about Keystone pipeline
Segment 2: Trudeau approves KM through the claim that it was rigged
We ask Mike to detail the current activities and cases with regards to Kinder Morgan's currently besieged Trans-Mountain Pipeline. Trudeau approved Kinder Morgan while shutting down northern gateway, proposing it as a middle path. Since then, the future of the pipeline seems further imperiled.
- National Observer releases its Trans Mountain files
- Kinder Morgan warns of 'significant' delay after court urged to consider release of Trudeau government secrets
- Jagmeet Singh pens letter to Trudeau urging prime minister to release secret records on Kinder Morgan review
- High-ranking federal officials sped up Trans Mountain review after phone call from Kinder Morgan's Ian Anderson
Segment 3: The Fallout
What's next, what cases are still to be decided and who are the main players at this stage. We also ask Mike to briefly comment on the public sentiment in BC, and the politicization of the issue in the media.
- Trudeau government's 'highly unusual’ Kinder Morgan secrets could scuttle Trans Mountain, says court motion
- Tsleil-Waututh lawyer says new Trans Mountain evidence casts shadow over Trudeau government's 'consultation'
- Trudeau government refuses to release secret briefings about Kinder Morgan protests
This Weeks Music:
What do you think?
Let us know what you think of what we discussed in the show! Click here to find us on social media or send us an email.